- Thank and link back to the person who nominated you.
- Answer the ten questions.
- Share ten random facts/thoughts about yourself.
- Nominate seven worthy blogs for the Kreativ Blogger Award.
My mother loves it when I receive awards. I believe she still has the gold leaf trimmed paper with red ribbon from my preschool daycare, proudly proclaiming that I made it through the week with no accidents. She’s old school that way. Hopefully the news that I was given a Kreativ Blogger award will brighten her day. It has mine. Although, knowing my mother, she might question the spelling of the award, so for her sake…
“Mom, no, it’s not a Russian award. It’s spelled that way on purpose. It’s a creative way to spell creative.”
In my mind I can see her nodding her head, but I know she will probably google it all the same.
The first order of business is to thank the talented blogger that passed this award on to me. Jo-Anne Teal (@jtvancouver) received this award multiple times from some other amazing bloggers, Angie Richmond (@write_me_happy) and Steven Watson (@ashviper). What makes this award extra special to me is the fact it was given to only one person, not the usual seven that is suggested in the rules. Jo-Anne included six other bloggers as honorable mentions, and quite frankly, after visiting their sites, I’m even more grateful.
Next on this list are the ten questions that each award recipient must answer. These questions never change and it’s interesting to look through all the previous winners of this award to see how they were answered. I did notice that some folks took the questions more seriously than others, while a few just had fun with them. I’m going to try a combination of both. If I start to bore you, please do let me know. Okay, here we go…
1. What is your favorite song?
I have a playlist of my Top 100 Songs posted. Go to track #32. Then check out #59. Finally, pull up #92. I could listen to those three songs forever. My favorite is whichever one I’m listening to at the moment.
2. What is your favorite dessert?
How many of you have ever wanted peanut butter ice cream bad enough to make your own? It didn’t quite taste right when I first tried it, so I stuck the bowl in the microwave. The slush pile that came out did not look appetizing, but I poured it into a cup and drank it anyway. I’m not advising you try this by the way. Since then, I haven’t been able to eat peanut butter or ice cream.
So, the answer to the question is German Chocolate cake.
3. What ticks you off?
Being forced to do something that I don’t want to do, closely followed by not getting my way. If you wanted to psychoanalyze it, then it could be summed up as not being in control. I rarely ride with other people, and I hate flying. If I can’t drive it or fly it myself then it makes me uncomfortable. The more uncomfortable I am, the more upset I become.
Also, Alec Baldwin pisses me off. But that’s another post for the future.
4. What do you do when you are upset?
Well, let’s just say that I’ve mellowed in my old age. With red hair, and an Irish/Scottish/Cherokee lineage backing me up, my reaction to being upset is much different now than it used to be. Still, I refuse to own a gun. There are a few people that owe their lives to that decision, including the ice cream truck driver that blares toddler music through the neighborhood while I’m trying to write.
These days I typically just go to bed and pout.
5. Which is your favorite pet?
My dog Bandit (BishPoo) is the most loving, and devoted little buddy I’ve ever known. He goes with me just about everywhere, and even rides on the motorcycle with me. He even has his own goggles.
6. Which do you prefer, black or white?
Easy one. More than 90% of my wardrobe is black. However, I am glad to be white. I don’t think I could pretend to like Rap music well enough to survive being a black person.
7. What is your biggest fear?
Spiders, snakes, bridges (going over or under), heights, drowning… there really are too many to list. But there is one that towers above the rest.
8. What is your attitude mostly?
Do you remember William Riker from Star Trek: The Next Generation? Take his attitude and mix it with Steve Martin. That’s about as close to my personality as I could describe. Serious when I need to be, a bit over the top and unpredictable the rest of the time.
9. What is perfection?
Finding the right way to phrase a sentence in a story that makes you sit back and say, “Wow, I wrote that.”
Outside of those perfect moments, creating memories with friends and family would be at the top of the list.
10. What is your guilty pleasure?
Hard to say. That would indicate that I felt guilty about it. Guilt is an emotion I have always tried to stay away from. As for the pleasure part, taking a nap while my buddy Bandit is curled up beside me comes to mind.
Now for the Ten Random Facts. Still with me?
1. I would rather read a book than go to a party.
2. There are times that I’ve caught myself singing in public (and kept singing anyway).
3. When I find a shirt or pair of pants that I like (always in black), I’ll buy five or ten of them at a time. The same goes for sunglasses (purple & black).
4. I rarely sleep more than four hours at a time.
5. Saturday is my favorite day of the week.
6. I drink too much caffeine, smoke too much, eat too much, exercise too little, drive too fast, and have no plans at all to change this.
7. I like to see my friends succeed, and be happy. I play a much better Riker or Spock than a Picard or Kirk.
8. I hate having my picture taken. You can only imagine what it must feel like to have a video camera pointed me.
9. My two favorite games are chess and Texas Hold’em. Am I any good though? Play me and let’s find out.
10. Writing, trying various styles, the whole learning process in general, has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.
Time to pass the torch to some other worthy bloggers. Honestly, you could look at my blogroll and pick any random seven. There are no slouches in that group. In the spirit of my Canadian friend from Vancouver however, I’m going to pick just one. The one I have in mind is not just a blog, it’s a Super Blog. Written by two dozen authors in the indie community, it is one of the best blogs on the web.
Winner: Indies Unlimited
My Write Spot Author Donna B. McNicol
Honest Indie Book Reviews Author Gary Henry
Of Glass & Paper Writer Honoré Dupuis
Rob on Writing Author Rob Guthrie
Ruminating On… Author Edward Lorn
The Migrant Type Author David Antrobus